Questions In the textbook there are 21 questions provided regarding items to consider when conducting an industry analysis. Review the questions listed on pages 116 and 117. Choose three that you think are the most important of all questions provided. Discuss why those three items are important when conducting an industry analysis. Participate in follow-up discussion by reviewing classmates’ posts and discussing whether the cost leadership or differentiation competitive strategy would be the most effective approach based on the three items provided.
Answer the following questions:
(a) For each year:
1. What were the ﬁrm’s major sources of cash? Its major uses of cash?
2. Was cash ﬂow from operations greate r or less than net income? Explain in detail
the major reasons for the difference between these two ﬁgures.
3. Was the ﬁrm able to generate enough cash from operations to pay for all of its
4. Did the cash ﬂow from operations cover both the capital expenditures and the
ﬁrm’s dividend payments, if any?
5. If it did, how did the ﬁrm invest its excess cash?
6. If not, what were the sources of cash the ﬁrm used to pay for the capital
expenditures and/or dividends?
7. Were the working capital accounts primarily sources of cash, or users of cash?
8. What other major items affected cash ﬂows?
(b) What was the trend over the three years in:
10. Cash ﬂow from (continuing) operations?
11. Capital expenditures?
13. Net borrowing (proceeds less payments of short- and long-term debt)?
14. Working capital accounts?
(c) Based on the evidence in the statement of cash ﬂows
alone, what is your assessment
of the ﬁnancial strength of this business? Be as speciﬁc as possible in your