Leadership Scenario – Milestone One
For this assignment, you will be taking a more thorough look into your leadership self-assessment results that you reflected on in Module One. This assignment will help in the creation of your personal development plan, which will be submitted in Module Six.
You work as a director of leadership and learning for an organization that makes prosthetics. The organization has been in business since 1999 and employs over 350 people in its Tampa, Florida, headquarters and three plant locations across the Southwest. While the business is currently based in the United States, the organization is exploring ways to move into Canadian markets within the next three years. This year’s employee engagement survey results for the organization show that some leadership practices were rated lower, while some practices were rated higher. The new chief human resources officer (CHRO) met with the team to discuss the general results. Everyone agrees that the company’s focus should be on both specific leadership development areas perceived as strengths and on those rated as areas for improvement, primarily regarding social intelligence, emotional intelligence, and the interpersonal skills of effective leaders.
To help this initiative, your manager, the vice president of leadership and learning, asked you to create an adaptive leadership toolkit that can be used throughout the organization. To begin this work, you conducted a personal leadership self-assessment, and now you will be taking a closer look at these results to produce a self-assessment report. You plan on exploring how this self-assessment would make a beneficial contribution to a personal development plan and adaptive leadership toolkit, which will help to resolve the leadership challenges the organization is currently facing.
For this assignment, refer to your results from your self-assessment and use the LPI Self Percentile Ranking to determine where each of your five leadership behaviors rank.
- Model the Way
- Inspire a Shared Vision
- Challenge the Process
- Enable Others to Act
- Encourage the Heart
For further information on each leadership behavior, please refer to Ten Commitments of Exemplary Leadership
Self-assessment: In this part of your report, you will use the results from your self-assessment to identify leadership behaviors where you ranked highest and where you ranked lowest, and begin thinking about how this information impacts your ability to lead. This work will help to inform your personal development plan, which you will create in Module Six.
- Identify the leadership behavior in which you ranked lowest and define what this behavior means to you.
- For the leadership behavior in which you ranked lowest, describe the importance of developing this area to improve skills related to leading others.
- Identify the leadership behavior in which you ranked highest and define what this behavior means to you.
- For the leadership behavior in which you ranked highest, describe how this area helps support skills related to being an effective leader.
Adaptive leadership toolkit: In this part of your report, you will use your findings from the Employee Satisfaction Survey and the leadership behaviors you reviewed in the self-assessment to identify areas of leadership the organization should focus on developing. This work will help to inform the adaptive leadership toolkit that you will develop in Module Seven.
- Based on your review of the Employee Satisfaction Survey, identify the leadership behaviors the organization’s leadership should focus on improving and explain how developing these areas will address the business problems the organization currently faces.
- Based on your review of the Employee Satisfaction Survey, identify the leadership behaviors the organization’s leadership is currently successful in and explain how maintaining these areas can help in managing relationships between the leaders and their direct reports.
Guidelines for Submission
Submit your report as a 3- to 4-page Word document using 12-point Times New Roman font, double spacing, and one-inch margins. Sources should be cited according to APA style. Consult the Shapiro Library APA Style Guide for more information on citations.