Discussion Thread: Cognitive Dissonance
Chapter 4 of our textbook describes the discomfort of cognitive dissonance and ways to alleviate this discomfort. Provide an example of cognitive dissonance from a book or movie and describe how the person involved reduced (or could have reduced) the dissonance. Be sure to specifically link to concepts provided in our textbook. Also provide a comment related to where or how the Bible speaks to this topic. Where do you see cognitive dissonance talked about in Scripture? Please provide at least one verse or scenario and be sure to identify the location with a citation.
Discussion Assignment Instructions
Throughout the term, you will participate in 3 class discussions. These discussions provide an opportunity for you to interact with your classmates in a way that demonstrates understanding of important course concepts, practical application, and Biblical integration. While a conversational tone is welcomed, writing should also demonstrate academic competence (well-organized, clear, and focused on the topic).
1. The initial thread will include a response to the discussion prompt that includes at least two major concepts, the source of which is identified with an APA-formatted citation:
a. At least one concept from our textbook.
b. At least one concept from Scripture.
2. The initial thread will also include an explanation of how the concept (from the textbook or Scripture) connects to the discussion topic.
3. Practical application of these concepts should also be included.
4. The reply posts may be more conversational but should still be focused on the discussion prompt/topic.
5. To encourage the development and demonstration of your own thoughts, direct quotes are not allowed in our discussions (either the initial thread or the replies) except for brief quotes from Scripture. Please note that if you choose to include direct quotes they will not be considered in the final word count.
1. The initial thread must include at least 300 but no more than 500 words.
2. Two reply posts are required. Each reply must include at least 150 but not more than 250 words.
3. The source of any information included that is not considered common knowledge must be identified with a citation.
4. Each source cited must be included in a reference list at the end of your posts.
5. At least two citations must be included in each initial thread (one from the textbook and one from Scripture).
6. At least one textbook citation must be included in each reply post.
7. Direct quotes should not be included except brief passages from Scripture.
This course utilizes the Post-First feature in all Discussions. This means you will only be able to read and interact with your classmates’ threads after you have submitted your thread in response to the provided prompt.
Finally, although healthy discussion is encouraged, disrespect towards others (e.g., hostility, name-calling) is not acceptable and will be penalized. Refer to the Discussion Grading Rubric provided for specifics regarding how points are assigned for your thread and replies.
Each thread is due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Thursday of the assigned Module: Week. Replies are due by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on Monday of the same Module: Week.
Page 2 of 2